Friday, February 23, 2007

How Did I Get Here?

Some of the students have heard this story, but when I was working with Andy Thibault as a mentor, I got assigned to interview all the candidates running for governor which turned strange with the Lieberman factor. I spoke to Andy and said, "I'm not sure I am qualified for this assignment." He said, "You're a citizen, you're qualified." And I managed to get some good interviews and get some articles in the newspaper.

After getting boxing credentials from the same newspaper, I went to a boxing match and covered the fights for the newspaper. After that I started a blog so people could read my boxing reportage, what little I had. It was something I considered a hobby. I continued to go to fights, I continued to report, and link with other promoters, boxers, and news organizations. I chatted with some of the other writers and reporters at the events and networked. I began watching ESPN2 Classic Boxing matches trying to get a crash course in boxing history. I read books about boxing history, listen to Teddy Atlas, read Normal Mailer, and Joyce Carol Oats.

In the last two months we reconditioned the website, we covered some fights and we made a few new allies. In the last two months, not only have we grown fast, we are actually taking this seriously. We have affiliated ourselves with Brick City Boxing and now Northeast Boxing News is a player. www.northeastboxing.blogspot.com We are designing t-shirts and business cards.

I am explaining all this to you because it is important to write as an art form, but it is rewarding to write about something you love, things you are passionate about. I never thought I would be passionate about sports. But here I am. We are all writers, we are all readers, but if you have something in your life you love, a hobby, a skill, your dogs, anything, start writing about it. Start a blog or website. Start getting other like minded people involved. It may turn into something really exciting, really fun, and like the Talking Heads song: you will wake up one day and say "My God what have I done!"

Occasional musing from a dime store novelist. Ron Samul

4 comments:

Lisa Smith-Overton said...

You and my husband would get along like a house on fire. I can't shake him from the couch when he's watching Boxing Classic, especially the fights with Mike Tyson.

I'm going to display my ignorance here but who's the guy in the picture with you? Hector Comacho? I know it's not Oscar De La Hoya, I can spot that fine man from ten paces.

Lisa S-O

Brian Clements said...

Isn't that Vinnie?

DLowe said...

I think it's Boom Boom Mancini.

The Cool Justice Report said...

Paz