Thursday, May 03, 2007

Blog This!

Hi everyone. Sometimes I can post to this site, sometimes not. Oh well, the joys of the virtual world!

I know you are probably tiring of my raves about the blog. However, as I build traffic to my blogsite The Eclectic Writer I am amazed at the network I am building for my writing.

For example, reading Brain, Child: The Magazine for Working Mothers on line I came across a fantastic personal essay, Weaning Ella, by Jill Christman. I liked it so much, in fact, I googled Jill's contact information -- she's the Chair of creative writing at Ball State University -- and mentioned I liked the article so much I was going to link to it on my blog.

I got the nicest note in return and established a contact! She also told me about her memoir,
Darkroom: A Family Exposure. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds intriguing. As many of you are memoirists, I thought you might be interested.

On another note, on a recent posting to the MFA blog I mentioned having a commentary I wrote for a Time magazine blog posted on the site. Checking back in, I saw that there was one comment to the post -- and it was from Lisa Cullen, the journalist who works for Time and writes the blog! Lesson learned is that my linking back to the MFA site brought Lisa here. So again, there is tremendous exposure you can build for your work and to get yourself known.

If anyone is truly interested in blogging in support of their writing ambitions or to help build their platforms (there, you knew I couldn't finish this without referencing the platform) let me know. Time has been tight lately, but I wouldn't mind doing a mini-workshop to share my learnings if anyone was interested. Informal but informative.

Anne

2 comments:

Polly said...

Hi Anne -
I'm particlarly interested, and just read a great book about blogging.
My email is
abbraccio@comcast.net

Polly

Tonia said...

Anne, I would be interested, too. Thanks for offering it.

Polly, what is the title of the book you just read, I would love to look at it.

Thanks, Tonia