Saturday, September 01, 2007

Richard Thompson

If any of you are interested in witnessing the masterful collaboration of story, poetry, and song I recommend Richard Thompson’s gorgeous ballad, 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. I have admired this song for years, and you can see Richard Thompson, a genius guitar player, perform the hell out of it on UTUBE. Some great lines:
“And if fate should break my stride, then I'll give you my Vincent to ride”
“Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world, beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl”
“Now Nortons and Indians and Greeveses (and Harleys)won't do, they don't have a soul like a Vincent 52”

SEE it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azB7B8hrVZY&mode=related&search=

3 comments:

JBouchard said...

Don, I've always loved that song too!

Brian Clements said...

When I was a kid I always like him as John Boy...

Actually, Del McCoury does a GREAT bluegrass version of that song.

DLowe said...

Yeah, Del rocks! The album, "The Mountain" where he and his band play with Steve Earle (another big time fav of mine)is one of the best records ever produced for my tastes.
Don