Friday, September 11, 2009

NaNoWriMo Kicks Off November 1st

National Novel Writing Month is fast approaching. NaNoWriMo, as it is affectionaly acronymed, is a global celebration of writing where the goal is to write a rough draft of 50,000 words in 30 days.

Last year I participated in NaNoWriMo for the first time. I wrote a 50,000 word ROUGH draft of a novel that had been swimming in my head while my first novel continues to plod along 3 years later.

The cool thing about NaNoWriMo is that it cultivates a community of writers and charges the adrenaline tanks for cranking out writing. You can join local groups and participate in marathon writing sessions and other fun, collaborative activities throughout the month.

A few other MFA alumnae participated. I decided after suffering through the pain of last year's aggressive goal that this was something I would give to myself as a "writer's gift" annually. So I'm gearing up for November 1 and prepping to write a YA novel about eating disorders that has been taking up too much space in my brain and not enough bytes on my computer.

Hope you'll think about joining the fun in a little more than a month!

No comments: