Monday, May 03, 2010

"In Praise of the Short Story"


The latest issue (June 2010) of The Writer is out, and includes my essay, "In Praise of the Short Story." Originally, I'd called the essay "Why Write What Nobody Reads?" (good question, eh?) and after a talk with the editor we moved toward "In Defense of the Short Story" but finally we went with an up title. So, if you're interested in short stories and looking for a mentor, well, uhm, *koff koff* ahem...

The issue also includes an essay by Jane Yolen from 1973, a piece by Daniyal Mueenuddin, and an interview with John Berendt.

The Writer is one of the best and certainly the oldest (founded in 1887!) magazines for writers and aspirants. I hope some of you check it out.

1 comment:

DLowe said...

I'm looking forward to reading this, Nick. Congrats on the placement. No one I know understands the short story better than you.
Don