Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Reporting in Southeastern Connecticut

by Ron Samul

When I started writing for the Inquiring News, New England’s Largest African American Newspaper, I was a little frightened by my first assignment in the spring. The editor and publisher Reggie Hales needed interviews with all the gubernatorial candidates spread over three issues. John Destefano, Dan Malloy, and finally incumbent Jodi Rell. I went back to my mentor and said, “I don’t think I am qualified for this assignment.” He shot me back an email and said, “You’re a citizen, you’re qualified.” Now, I never look at an assignment as a writer who doesn’t feel qualified. If I don’t feel qualified, it is my job to be ready, do the research, and write the best I can.

I caught Destefano in person at a press conference. And silly me, I thought I would have trouble getting a politician to say something. I had more than enough. I was also able to do a phone interview with Jodi Rell who also spent more than fifty minutes on her platform and her hopes for the coming race. Completing that series, I began to not only understand my position and my place in journalism; I also wanted to get better at it.


Ron ringside interviewing a fighter's wife for Inquiring News.

My mentor said once that his motto is: “Hang out with people, write simple declarative sentences, afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted.” And so far, I have found those words to ring very true in my experience. In my internship this semester, I will be a contributing writer for the Inquiring News. My range of work includes obituaries, covering boxing matches, the race for the governor, Katrina Anniversary, 9/11 Anniversary, and others. This semester, not only will I work on suggestions from the editor, I will also try to build up connections in the area and create news stories for the editor to pick and choose from. I would also like to write enough work to have a portfolio of clips to present with my resume.

In the process of writing this semester I would like to write more in-depth articles and perhaps get back to my investigative journalism. One project that I would like to foster is researching how the government has Private Contractors making millions and millions of dollars during war time, relief efforts, hurricane rebuilding and other place around the world. It seems private military contractors (PMC) follow turmoil around the globe and cash in. Are they corporate mercenaries, or just corporate opportunists?

Writing for a newspaper has shaped important realities for me in the past and I would like to foster them more now. There is no magical muse in newspaper writing. It’s due on this date, and that is it. If you don’t feel it, too bad – write it. I think professionally it is important to foster skills that include meeting deadlines, working in the field, and shaping my abilities to work effectively and make my editor happy.

My goal by the end of this internship is to continue to write for the Inquiring News, and begin my search for a writing job. I would like to work in journalism, public relations, or academically. Internships and working relationships are what we are here to take advantage of in this program. Not only will my writing improve, but so will my network of people who might get me into a job that will a career someday. Although the professional aspect of my studies was one semester, I was lucky to work intensely with a mentor who was willing to push me and connect me with useful contacts. This had turned into opportunity for this internship. Hopefully it will turn into a positive career opportunity. Lastly, I would like to develop some professional afflictions as a writer and journalist. I was part of the Writer’s Union; I would also like to get actively involved in the IRE (Investigative Reporters and Editors) organization and other place that can foster my skills and career, while shaping my path through this field of study. - 9/14/06

No comments: