"The Public Affairs Intern reports to the Superintendent of Schools or appropriate Administrator as designated by the Superintendent. The Intern's primary job is to promote the Danbury Public Schools to prospective families, existing families, and the community. The position also assists the Superintendent in district-wide event planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compile information from schools for potential story ideas
- Write all press releases and weekly "What's Happening" media advisories/Board Briefs
- Produce and host weekly cable reports in conjunction with the High School
- Respond quickly to media requests for information and interviews
- Plan and host monthly tours of schools for the real estate community. Tours for legislators are arranged on an as-needed basis.
- Compile information packets, complete with brochures, pamphlets, press releases, and recent newspaper articles for distribution to public
- Write district-wide videos that are shown at conferences
Superior presentation and communications skills (oral and written); high standards of ethics, honesty, and integrity; demonstrated academic training in media communications; ability to research and develop; knowledge of development and trends in public relations; enrollment in a BA program in Language Arts or Communications and/or equivalent education" [in other words, enrollment in the MFA program with first or second genre in PR or some experience in PR or PR-related activities--bc]My understanding from Maureen is that they need someone who can be in the offices 2-3 times per week (not sure how many hours they mean) and who is flexible enough to attend occasional evening Board meetings.