Thursday, January 20, 2011

Essay in Creative Nonfiction / Reading at KGB Bar

My essay "Killing Starlings," which some of you may remember, (and which became quite notorious among a certain crowd...), just came out in the winter issue of Creative Nonfiction. I submitted it for an "Animals" theme, which the issue is devoted to. Creative Nonfiction was the first literary journal dedicated solely to the publication of literary creative nonfiction, and is still one of the biggest venues for it, so I was pretty excited when they accepted this essay. There should be info on the link if you want to check it out.

They also asked me to read at the KGB Bar in the East Village, which is apparently quite the legendary old Russian/Communist bar. If anyone happens to be in the area, I'd love to see you there. Info from the CNF newsletter:

We're also pleased to announce An Evening with Creative Nonfiction, a three-part reading series at the legendary KGB Bar in New York City. The first will be held Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 7 p.m. and will feature animal-themed readings by select contributors to #40:

Jennifer Lunden, "The Butterfly Effect" - Winner of the Robert Fragasso Animal Advocate Award for the Best Creative Nonfiction Essay about Animals
Randy Fertel, "A Triumph of Preservation"
Kateri Kosek, "Killing Starlings"

9 comments:

scribbler_kate said...

Hey Kateri,

How awesome! I am so excited for you and SO wish I could be in the audience cheering you on and supporting you. No small feat you've accomplished. I hope you are totally excited, because you should be! Congratulations!
Kate M.

E.K. Mortenson said...

nice. reds love killing birds.

piece of advice: i read there this fall. AWESOME venue, but DON'T use the restroom. i'm not too squeamish but i didn't even want to walk on the floor of the "mens' room"...

Laura B. Hayden said...

It was a beautiful essay Kateri. I can't wait to reread it in CNF. Congratulations.

Brian Clements said...

Excellent! I'll try to make it.

Gwen Jones said...

Wonderful, Kateri, but those poor starlings!

andrew alexander said...

Kateri,
I read that story, then saw your name there, OMG, what a beautiful story. Thanks, Andy

DLowe said...

That's very cool! Good job, Kateri.
Best wishes,
Don

Alexis Fedorjaczenko said...

Yay, Kateri! If I can't make it I will be thinking of you and sending good vibes. You rock!

Kateri said...

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes! And thanks to those of you who read and commented on that essay in its early stages.

Yes, Mort, I'll avoid the restroom if possible. Warnings about it are pervasive on the internet...