Undergraduate and graduate students in the Writing Department are encouraged to submit to the WCSU AWP Intro Awards. Winners from WCSU will be entered into the national competition.
The AWP Intro Journals Project is a literary competition for the discovery & publication of the best new works by students currently enrolled in the programs of AWP. Winners at the national level will be contacted in the spring of 2012 and will receive publication in a participating journal and a $100 cash honorarium. Participating journals are Hayden's Ferry Review, Mid-American Review, Colorado Review, Puerto del Sol, Controlled Burn, Quarterly West, Tampa Review, and Artful Dodge.
Submit entries to Laurel Richards, secretary of the Writing Dept.
Entries must follow these guidelines:
• Each submitted piece must have a separate title page with the following information:
1. The title, author’s name, permanent address, email address, and phone number
2. The genre of the work (must be either fiction, creative nonfiction, or poetry)
• Neither the author’s name nor any other identifying information should appear on the manuscript except on the title page.
• Translations are acceptable, but it is the translator's responsibility to secure publication rights.
• All submitted works must be unpublished and may not be under consideration elsewhere.
• Excerpts from novels are acceptable.
• No individual piece submitted may exceed 25 pages.
• Prose must be double-spaced and typed or printed on a letter-quality printer; dot-matrix is not acceptable. Poetry only may be single-spaced.
• Students may submit up to 2 works of fiction, 2 works of creative nonfiction, and 5 works of poetry.