Thursday, August 30, 2007

Over and Under Dogs

Leona Helmsley willed her lap dog, Trouble, 12 million dollars. Somewhere between her and Michael Vick is some middle ground with regard to human/animal relationships.

Leona. Back when I was a chronically unemployed actor in New York I once picked up some Christmas season doorman work at Lord & Taylor department store. Must have been around 1987, 1988 maybe. After Leona and her assistant walked out of the store and I had helped them into a car, the assistant, a guy in his forties, popped back out and handed me a business card. He said, “Leona would like you to work for her.” The talk on Leona wasn’t so hot even then, so I didn’t call. Wish I had.

I’d wax on but my beagle, Chompers, is an 8-1 longshot with a German shepherd up the road. Bets due by noon.

2 comments:

RSamul said...

Don,
I'll take shepherd in the second round (do they have rounds?) with a throat lunge.

DLowe said...

Man, did you call that. Poor Chompers. I'm gonna miss her. Plus, there goes the kids' college money. Still, there's something to be said about sitting around with other real men and watching dogs rip each other apart. (Although I've seen just as good in writing workshops.)
Don