Thursday, March 19, 2009

Internship?

Hi,

I'm preparing to do my internship this summer, but being in the Midwest, I'm dry of ideas of where to begin looking. I'd love to do something online with a literary magazine, or anything else that may be "virtual." I'm continuing to look in the Kansas City area for opportunities, but I thought I'd just pop the question out there to anyone who has already done their internship: Where did you find opportunities? Do you know of any lit mags or other online options that may be looking for interns this summer, somewhere where you interned or other places you know of? Thanks for your help!
Kate

6 comments:

Adam said...

I interned at _The Adirondack Review_, an online lit journal. It consisted of reading stories, commenting on them, and accepting or rejecting them, all from the comfort of my own home.

Brian Clements said...

A few KC suggestions:

*Kansas City Literary Festival
*Missouri Center for the Book
*New Letters (good journal out of UMKC, though they might only use students)
*Miranda (talk to Ron Samul)
*KC Royals/Chiefs PR departments
*KC Parent magazine
*KC Star
*KC Business Journal
*Spaces or other lifestyle magazines
*Arthur Bryant's BBQ. Well, okay, you can't really do an MFA internship there, but you'll sure as hell learn a few things about BBQ

RSamul said...

We have plenty of work at Miranda for hardworking interns. We are pushing to finish our spring issue and in the summer we will be working on an Anthology based around The Sea - we've gotten more than 200 submissions for it and we are taking submissions until June. So, here is plenty of work to be had. If you have something more specific in mind, I am wide open to idea.

Ron
Miranda Magazine
Skinny Toe Press

scribbler_kate said...

Thanks. Will think about all of that. Brian ... why CAN'T I intern at Arthur Bryants? I could write a stand-up essay about what it was like to be the biggest restaurant failure of all time, with BBQ stains to boot! It could be a legacy to go down in WestConn MFA history ...

scribbler_kate said...

And Ron - With the anthology, what exactly would the intern work consist of? Reading submissions? Editing? Something completely different? I'm very curious! Thanks for responding.

RSamul said...

Yes, those are a few of the things you could be involved in. You could work on a marketing campaign and promotion track that we can follow. In fact, I would start with your focus and see how we can apply to the magazine and its projects.

Hope this helps.
be well -RON