Thursday, March 26, 2009

No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Comes to Life

Grammy Award winning artist and poet Jill Scott stars as Precious Ramotswe in HBO's adaptation of Alexander McCall Smith's popular literary mystery novel, No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

Now I wish I had subscribed to HBO instead of Starz! In viewing the preview (which looks very promising), I think this production will stay true to the spirit of the book.

For a preview, click on the YouTube link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdee9507YVM

To read about Scott's initial misgivings at accepting the role, read USA Today's article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-03-25-jill-scott_N.htm

2 comments:

Aaliyah said...

Lisa,

Always go with HBO. The original programming in the bomb. Did you know that Jill Scotts co-star, Anika Noni Rose (Dream Girls) is a CT native, from Bloomfield I believe.

Back in the days when she was working the Black NYCV play scene, I worked on a play she was in. I was an assistant stage manager.

Lisa Smith-Overton said...

Alright. Thanks for making me regret my satillite subscription services!

Isn't it cool to see someone local make it? It gives you hope that the same will happen for you.

Lisa S-O