Doesn't pay much, but it's a foot in the door and you'd be in a full-time literary community...
Administrative Assistant - Creative Writing Program in the Department of English - 21862
Location: Danforth - Main Campus
Please note this job is active during the nine month academic year (mid August through mid May) with summers off.
Readings, Hurst Professors, Author Visits (45%)
- Audio/visual for all writing program, Hurst readings, and departmental readings
- Recording for all readings (includes preparing release forms and transferring recordings to digital archives)
- Scheduling venues and setup
- Receptions for all readings
- Create poster and emails to advertise readings
- Work with author and/or agent to schedule author's visit
- Publicize author visits
- Arrange dinner with students, faculty, and author before reading
- Collect student work and send it to author before s/he arrives in St. Louis
- Coordinate author's meetings with students
- Arrange activities with author that involve students
- Coordinate two author readings and receptions(one reading and one craft lecture)
Creative Writing Program (40%)
- Update and maintain all email list serves for the program
- Answer email and phone inquiries from current and prospective students
- New Student application process
- Summer Funding - mid-Fall semester, compile list of current 1st years eligible for coming summer funding for Department Chair and Director
Departmental Awards (5%)
- Publicize awards to undergraduates
- Coordinate submissions
- Coordinate judging of both fiction and poetry submissions
AWP Conference Organization (5%)
- Procure funding from Dean for student travel to conference
- Coordinate conference registration of MFA students with English Department
- Coordinate student reimbursement for travel after conference
Social Events (5%)
- Bi-annual MFA gatherings, Department Beginning-of-year Social, Department Holiday Social, Department End-of-year Social, Commencement Receptions
High school diploma or equivalent. Previous administrative experience required. Proficiency with computers and software packages including MS Word and Excel.
Excellent typing and proofreading skills with precise attention to detail. Team player with courteous interpersonal skills and professional telephone skills for effective interactions at all times, assisting internal and external individuals. Strong ability to multi-task, organize, and prioritize competing assignments with little or no supervision is essential. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to exercise considerable initiative and judgment in planning and carrying out assignments. Ability to handle confidential information in a discrete and responsible manner. Ability to troubleshoot minor IT issues.
Five years experience in an academic setting. Associates or College Degree preferred. All of Microsoft Office Suite program experience is preferred.
$13.86 - $17.32 per hour